Some things to share…because I’m old, and old people get to do this. I really hope that this will be important to someone reading it, and maybe make a difference.
1. Love yourself. Believe you are enough, just the way you are. You don’t have to save the world, the dolphins, or the unicorns. You were created as a unique, beautiful being. You just have to believe it. Be gentle with yourself. At the same time, be connected with your higher power – (God, for me). The One that created you did so out of love. That is a two-way street.
2. Move and sweat each day. It makes things really good – like a bigger smile, more love, more energy, more happy. You get to know your body a whole lot better, and it is an amazing body. Push your limits – see if you can find them.
3. Leave your comfort zone. Everything doesn’t have to be an “extreme” adventure, but try something new. Often. Alone or with friends. Good things happen – maybe you succeed, or maybe you learn how to circle back and take another run at it. When you start feeling comfortable, it might be time to move again.
4. Laugh more. It’s a choice. Even if it doesn’t seem like there is much to laugh at, find something. Contemplate your belly button or name your toes….whatever it takes to get a giggle.
5. Stop judging others so harshly, and to do that, you must first stop judging yourself. This is closely related to item #1.
6. Ask for help. It’s OK. It sure makes things easier. Choose your helpers wisely, and be open to those you least expect to be helpers in your journey.
7. Don’t make too many finite goals. Resting points and milestones are good, goals are like endpoints or stopping points. The journey isn’t over if you are breathing….
8. Start with a safe milestone if it makes you feel better, but after that, choose big, scary ones. Open your heart and your mind, and believe that you can.
9. Surround yourself with positive people, and find two or three people that you trust to help you navigate the really challenging times, and kick you out of your comfort zone when you get stuck there. Try to be that kind of person for someone else!
10. Don’t try to do it alone…remember, you are already enough, just the way you are. Sharing journeys and adventures – so much more fun than being alone. Sitting quietly and enjoying silence, or the beauty around you – so much nicer to look at the person next to you and share the joy with them. It is good, though, to enjoy some quiet alone time – everything doesn’t have to be an adventure all the time.
These are things that I am working on, things that I had to learn the hard way. When I am able to remember to incorporate this stuff into my life each day, I really do smile more, laugh more, and love more. Some of the lessons were harder than others to learn, some are still really hard to practice. But it gets easier each time. Perfection is a myth, no room for messy fun. Get dirty, cry, laugh, hug, run, sing out loud….do it with passion. It is totally worth it!